DPR and DGS invites you to attend a community meeting for the Marvin Gaye playground to review the concept plans, amenities and equipment being proposed for the new playground based on previous feedback received from the community. To ensure that the newly renovated play space meet the needs of, and reflect the individuality and uniqueness of the surrounding community DPR and DGS would like you to participate in an upcoming meeting:
Where: Marvin Gaye Recreation Center
Date: Thursday July, 17, 2014
Time : 6:30-8pm
If you have any concerns or questions regarding the meeting please feel free to contact me or the project manager, Ella Faulkner. Ms. Faulkner can be reached at email@example.com or by phone 202-286-1533.
DPR Customer Service: (202) 673-7647
DPR Media Contact: John Stokes (202) 288-7275, firstname.lastname@example.org
WASHINGTON, DC – Due to the anticipated heat advisory this week, the DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) will open all spray parks one week early, starting today.
All spray parks will operate during their normal hours of operation from 10 am to 7 pm.
Please see the list of the District’s spray parks below or click here, DPR spray parks, for a citywide location map.
- 14th & Girard – 14th and Girard Sts. NW
- 14th & Park Road – 14th Street and Park Rd. NW
- Columbia Heights – 1480 Girard St. NW (202) 671-0373
- Harrison – 1330 V St. NW (202) 673-7760 (NEW)
- Chevy Chase Rec. Ctr. – 5500 41st St. NW (202) 727-7714 (NEW)
- Friendship – 4500 Van Ness St. NW (202) 282-2198
- Macomb – 3409 Macomb St. NW (202) 282-2199 (NEW)
- Palisades – 5200 Sherier Pl. NW (202) 282-2186
- Fort Stevens – 1327 Van Buren St. NW (202) 541-3754 (NEW)
- Lafayette – 5900 33rd St. NW (202) 282-2206
- Petworth – 801 Taylor St. NW (202) 576-6850
- Riggs LaSalle – 501 Riggs Rd. NE (202) 576-5224
- Takoma – 300 Van Buren St. NW (202) 576-7068 (NEW)
- Joseph H. Cole – 1299 Neal St. NE (202) 442-9262 (NEW)
- Turkey Thicket – 1100 Michigan Ave. NE (202) 576-9238 (NEW)
- Kennedy – 1401 7th St. NW (202) 671-4794 (NEW)
- Fort Davis – 1400 41st St., SE (202) 645-9212 (NEW)
- Hillcrest – 3100 Denver St. SE (202) 645-9200 (NEW)
- Fort Greble – Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. and Elmira St. SW (NEW)
The DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) announced the second DPR Fun Day will be held on Friday, February 14, 2014. DC Public Schools (DCPS) will close for the entire day for staff development, therefore DPR will offer DPR Fun Day, a single-day program offering fun and enriching activities (such as sports activities, arts & crafts, and more) for children ages 6 – 12 years old. DPR strives to meet the needs of District families when the District’s public schools have planned closures.
DPR Fun Day will be offered at 12 DPR sites on Friday, February 14, 2014 from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Registration for Fun Day will open on Friday, January 31 at 10 am. Before care and after care will not be offered. DPR Fun Day will incorporate DPR’s “Move, Grow and Be Green” initiative, as DPR continues to plant the seeds of personal development and environmental responsibility.
Sites offering DPR Fun Day are as follows:
Ward 1 : Park View Community Center – 693 Otis Place, NW | (202) 671-2186 Ward 3 : Chevy Chase Community Center – 5601 Connecticut Avenue, NW | (202) 282-2204 Ward 4 : Riggs LaSalle Recreation Center – 501 Riggs Road, NE | (202) 576-5224 Ward 5 : Trinidad Recreation Center – 1310 Childress Street, NE | (202) 727-1293 Turkey Thicket Recreation Center – 1100 Michigan Avenue, NE | (202) 576-9238 Ward 6 : Kennedy Recreation Center – 1401 7th Street, NE | (202) 671-4794 Sherwood Recreation Center – 640 10th Street, NE | (202) 698-3075 Ward 7 : Deanwood Recreation Center – 1350 49th Street, NE | (202)) 671-3077 Hillcrest Recreation Center – 3100 Denver Street, SE | (202) 645-9200 Ward 8 : Bald Eagle Recreation Center – 100 Joliet Street, SW | (202) 671-5125 Ferebee Hope Recreation Center – 3999 8th Street, SE | (202) 645-3916 Fort Stanton Recreation Center – 1812 Erie Street, SE | (202) 671-1040
Children should be sent with their lunch and snacks for the day as DPR staff will not provide these items. Parents are asked to adhere to DPR’s policies on food and snacks, which will be available on DPR’s website at the time of registration.
Although there is no “application” or registration fee for this program, online pre-registration is required. Registration will open on Friday, January 31 at 10 am. All registration must be completed online.
Space fills on a first-come, first-served basis and enrollment at each site is subject to availability. It is recommended that parents create an online account for all members of their family in DPR’s registration system before the registration period in order to be prepared. Registration closes at 12 pm on Thursday, February 13, 2014.
- Click here. Once registration opens on January 31, you will be redirected to the registration page, where you can log in with your username and password.
- Enter “Fun Day” in the search box.
- Select the program, DPR Fun Day, to your cart.
- Check out to complete the enrollment.
For more information, visit DPR Fun Day or contact DPR’s Seasonal Programs office at (202) 671-0372.
The DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) will convene a series of open community meetings to offer the public an opportunity to comment on proposed changes to DPR’s permit fees and regulations.
“DPR has a long-standing tradition of issuing permits for the District’s fields, gymnasiums, parks and facilities. As the agency continues to provide excellent services, there is a recognized need to update DPR’s permit fees and regulations,” said Interim Director Sharia Shanklin, Ed.D. “It is very important that we engage the community to collect feedback and comments regarding these changes. I encourage all District residents and stakeholders to attend these informative meetings.”
The three meetings will be held the following days and locations:
• Thursday, November 21, 2013, at 6:30-8:00 pm, at Emery Recreation Center (5801 Georgia Ave., NW)
• Monday, November 25, 2013, at 6:30-8:00 pm, at Deanwood Recreation Center (1350 49th St., NE)
• Thursday, December 5, 2013, at 6:30-8:00 pm, at Kennedy Recreation Center (1401 7th St., NW)
If a resident is unable to attend any of the meetings, written comments may be submitted to the Constituent Services and Permits Manager Jacqueline Alvarado at Jacqueline.Alvarado@dc.gov. All written comments must be submitted no later than Thursday, December 5, 2013.